Work Visa

Foreigners who enter Japan with the purpose of taking up paid employment need a Japan Work Visa. There are three types of Work Visas for Japan:

• The regular Japan Work Visa, which is issued for a number of professions such as a professor or artist.

• Japan Highly Skilled Professional Visa, which is issued through a point-based system and offers a longer period of stay and more benefits than a regular Work Visa.

• Japan Working Holiday Visa, which is issued to nationals of countries who have a Working Holiday agreement with Japan.

This article will detail the regular Japanese Work Visa, including the eligibility and application requirements, the application process, visa duration, etc.

Who Needs a Japan Work Visa?

Every foreign national who intends to move to Japan to live and work for any duration of time, needs a Japan Work Visa.

Although there are citizens of several countries who are exempt from holding a Japan Visa , the exemption only applies to those entering as tourists, as short-term visitors and business people, or other recreational purposes.

For long-term stays (work, studying, family reunion), everyone needs to get the appropriate Japan Visa.

Also Read: How to move to Japan?

What Professions are Eligible for a Japan Work Visa?

The Ministry of Foreign Affairs of Japan offers a list of occupations that are eligible for Japanese Work Visas:

• Artists, such as photographers, composers, songwriters, sculptors, etc.

• Business managers, such as a company president, director, etc.

• Engineer or specialist in humanities or international services, such as a scientific or IT engineer, an interpreter or copywriter, a foreign language teacher, designer, etc.

• Entertainer, such an actor, musician, singer, dancer, sportsperson, etc.

• Instructor or teacher at elementary, intermediate schools, or high school.

• Intra-company transferee (someone transferred to the Japanese branch of a company)

• Journalists, such as newspaper or magazine journalists, editors, news cameramen, announcers, etc.

• Legal or accounting workers, such as attorneys, judicial scriveners, public accountants, tax accountants, etc.

• Medical services, such as physicians, dentists, pharmacists, nurses, etc.

• Nursing care

• Professor, such as a university professor or an assistant professor, etc.

• Religious activities, such as monks, bishops, missionaries, etc.

• Researchers at research institutes

• Skilled workers, such as foreign chefs, animal trainers, pilots, sports trainers, or foreigners who have expertise and skills in certain industrial fields, etc.

Developed by TNW